Here’s an interesting thing: Japanese children have taken to making shiny balls of mud. Read an article about it, then follow the instructions yourself. See how shiny you can make your mud:
How to Make Shiny Dorodango
- Pack some mud into your hand, and squeeze
out the water while forming a sphere.
- Add some dry dirt to the outside and
continue to gently shape the mud into a sphere.
- When the mass dries, pack it solid with
your hands, and rub the surface until a smooth film begins to appear.
- Rub your hands against the ground, patting
and rubbing the fine, powdery dirt onto the sphere. Continue this for
- Seal the ball in a plastic bag for three
or four hours. Upon removing the sphere, repeat step 4, and then once
again seal the sphere in a plastic bag.
- Remove the ball from the bag, and if
it is no longer wet, polish it with a cloth until it shines.