We had quite an adventure making Baccala yesterday. The first batch was too light, too fluffy, and had too much egg in the batter. After that, with a little tweaking, we got the dough right. We found that even soaking for 1/2 day left the fish not salty enough. I can’t imagine what the other 1/2 of the fish will be like (we soaked that for two days). Poaching the baccala before frying had little effect on the ones made with the corrected dough. For the others, the effect was that they expanded to the size of basketballs in the water, and then ate Baltimore after frying. You may have heard about it on the news.
Zoe also made an interesting desert that was … like ah…. light and fluffy cheesecake stuffed sopapilla… sorta. Those were delicious and also resulted in a nice cheesecake souffle at the end of the day.
I had Baccala for breakfast, for lunch, and I’ll have a little more when I get home (unless Angela has eaten it all), and then not again for … a long time, probably. One can only take so much of fried foods and salty cod.
Oh, and when I say “final word” I mean it. No comments on this post allowed.